Monday, January 5, 2015

The Beginning.........

2015 marks the tenth year I've been coming down to the tropics on research trips. Over the years I've  collected a lot of stories and for some reason they just keep getting more interesting every year. I started going on banding related trips working with The Smithsonian and Local Panamanian NGO'S.



The author in a Mangrove estuary

Than a few years ago I started my own project with my research partner Tyler Christensen. I than got involved with Twan Leenders and it's just sort of snowballed from there.

The author holding a Spectacled Caiman (Caiman crocodilus)

 Nowadays I'm trying to find a way to spend as much time in the tropics working with the flora and fauna that encompass this unique biosphere.  I primarily do research with avian and herpetological taxa, but keep an eye open for anything interesting.

Turquoise-browed  Motmot (Eumomota superciliosa)
Eyelash Viper (Bothriechis schlegelii)

Limosa Harlequin Frog (Atelopus limosus)
Red-eyed Tree Frog (Agalychnis callidryas)
 I also contribute to photographic projects, so I always have a camera. I'll be using that a lot to help tell my stories. This seems like it's going to be a good place to talk about the wild things that seem to always happen down here, like: being ambushed by Peccaries, getting stitches at a vet from a freak machete accident, getting bitten by a numerous amount of fauna, getting surrounded by Capuchins from all angles in the top of a mango tree,  and just other things that you can only believe if you've spent time researching in the tropics. This will be the outlet for those stories and more. I will also keep an element of education and informativeness in the topics, to hopefully get people generally excited about the tropics. Unlike the author Mark Twain who I stylized my title after, I will not have the same prose, but aim to keep it enthralling.


No comments:

Post a Comment